Autumn Term 2
We hope you enjoyed a relaxing half term break!
The children have made a really good start to our topic ‘Can one person change the world?. It is really great to see how inspired the children have been by significant people in history. It was a fantastic end to the half term having our Mary Anning drama workshop.
Autumn Term Topic
This half term we will continue to answer our question ‘Can one person change the world?’. We will focus on key individuals that have made a difference in space travel. We are excited for space day for opportunities to travel to space, try space food and dress up! You will receive a letter with further details about this.
At the end of this topic, we will begin to think about how we can change the world ourselves.
In English, we will be reading the books: ‘The Odd Fish’, ‘The Whale Who Wanted More’, ‘The Little Turtle and the Changing Sea’, ‘The Sea Saw’, ‘Ocean Meets Sky’, and ‘The Wave’. We will also be learning about the life of Katherine Johnson through the true story, ‘Counting on Katherine’.
We will be using these stories as inspiration for sentence writing.
We will learn:
- To listen to and discuss stories at a level beyond reading independently
- To participate in discussion about what is read, taking turns and listening to what others say
- To leave spaces between words
- To sequence sentences to form short narratives based on the story, ‘The Wave.’
- To read what has been written, out loud and with a clear voice.
This term we are looking at:
- Addition & Subtraction
- to read, write and interpret mathematical statements
- involving addition (+), subtraction (-) and equals (=) signs
- add and subtract one-digit and two-digit numbers to 20, including 0
- Number bonds to 10
- Comparing addition and subtraction statements.
- Place Value
- Partitioning 10s and 1s and counting 1 more and 1 less
- Sorting and recognising 2D and 3D shapes
We will be exploring personal qualities, strategies to manage feelings, the impact of sleep and relaxation on wellbeing, the importance of hand washing and sun protection, identifying and dealing with allergic reactions and finding out about people in the community who keep us healthy.
Our topic this term is Materials. We will learn about:
- The scientific meaning of the word ‘material’
- The names of some everyday materials
- The properties of different materials
- Whether a material is natural or man-made
- Why different materials are useful for different purposes
We will be continuing to develop our collage skills this half term. Using our knowledge of different kinds of materials and the importance of recycling, we will be turning ‘Trash’ into ‘Treasure’. We will be creating a final piece of artwork which incorporates the techniques we have learnt throughout the term.
We will be learning a range of songs for our Christmas nativity and following the Dance, Sing and Play unit from Charanga.
Faith and Wonder Learning
We will be looking at the topic of Incarnation - exploring the question, ‘Why is Christmas important to Christians?’ We will learn which parts of our Christmas tradition come from the original bible story by becoming familiar with the characters and storyline of the Nativity.
We will practise the use of Seesaw to post pictures and write using a text box to show our independent learning. We will also begin to use iPads for research purposes and discover how to use Numbots to practise our number skills.
We will be continuing to focus on invasion games, centred on a fairground theme. In indoor PE, we will continue gymnastics, focusing on movement and balance.
How can you help?
- If you can spare any time at morning drop off or any other time during the day to help with reading, then please speak to your child’s class teacher. You may need to obtain a DBS check first (Please speak to the office ladies who can arrange this for you).
- Listen to your child read their reading book from school at least 5 times a week. Please make sure you write a short comment in their reading diary and check off on their homework sheet so that we can see this is happening at home. Your child can change their own book once they have read at home.
- Complete the homework tasks that are provided each week.
- Keep reading stories to your child to enrich their vocabulary and enjoyment of stories.
Events/Trips planned for this half term
Please see newsletter for up to date information.
Please remember that we do not allow toys in school. Please only allow your child to bring in items if they are linked to our topic.
We also kindly ask that the children do not bring in rucksacks as we do not have the space for children to store these on their pegs.
Finally, please only send water in bottles for your child. No juices or other drinks please.
If you have any queries please message us on Seesaw or email us at
The Year 1 team
Mrs Martin Mrs Keates