Summer Term 2
Welcome back! We hope you had a lovely May half term.
It was wonderful to end the half term with our May Day and Jubilee celebrations.
The children thoroughly enjoyed our Dinosaur topic last half term and particularly enjoyed becoming Paleontologists like Mary Anning. We were pleased to see so many children inspired by this topic. The children have been enjoying our ‘Fun in the Sun’ topic so far.
Topic: Fun in the Sun
This half term our topic has begun with looking at and comparing holidays in the past to how they are now.
We will be learning to:
- Name and locate the world’s seven continents and five oceans.
- Name, locate and identify characteristics of the four countries and capital cities of the UK and its surrounding areas.
We are thoroughly looking forward to our beach trip.
In English, we will be looking at seaside stories and poetry. We will learn:
- To listen to and discuss a range of stories and non-fiction texts at a level beyond that at which they can read independently
- To sequence sentences to form short narratives
- To participate in discussions and presentations
We will be continuing to learn about fractions by:
- Finding and making halves and quarters
We will be describing turns and positions using words such as:
- Full turn, quarter turn, half term and 3 quarter turn
- Left, right, forwards backwards
We will be revisiting our place value topic. We will learn how to:
- Count forwards and backwards within 100.
- Partition numbers into tens and ones.
- Compare numbers using mathematical vocabulary such as ‘greater than’ and ‘less than’.
- Recall one more and one less than any given number within 100.
We will also be revisiting some key mathematical concepts to ensure that the children are fully secure on these before moving to Year 2. We will recap:
- Partitioning numbers to 100 into tens and ones and using this knowledge to order and compare them
- Naming 2D and 3D shapes and sorting them based on simple properties
- Reading and writing addition and subtraction equations using numbers to 20
This half term we will be learning about how to stay safe in the sun and the water during the warmer weather. We will also be preparing the children for transition into Year 2.
Our topic this term is plants. We will continue to learn about:
- The different parts of a plant and what job they do
- The names of different common garden plants
- How to identify different types of trees
Our art focus this half-term is sketching: We will be looking at sketching techniques such as line drawing, shading, adding texture and using a variety of media.
This unit of work consolidates the learning that has occurred during the year. All the learning is focused around revisiting songs and musical activities, a context for the history of music and the beginnings of the language of music. We will listen and appraise classical music, continue to embed the foundations of the interrelated dimensions of music using voices and instruments, sing, play instruments within the song, improvise using voices and instrument, compose and share and perform the learning that has taken place.
We will learn about the historical figure, Mary Anning, and the important role she had in our understanding of the age of our world and prehistoric life.
Faith and Wonder Learning
We will be looking at the topic of Worship through the question, ‘Why do Christians pray to God and worship him?’
We will be developing our programming knowledge using the Beebots app on the iPads.
We will be focusing on athletics. This is all in preparation for our sports day.
How can you help?
- Listen to your child read their reading book from school as often as possible.
- Complete the homework tasks that are provided each week.
- Keep reading stories to your child to enrich their vocabulary and enjoyment of stories.
- Play Numbots at home. Please ask your child’s teacher if you need a reminder of your child’s password.
Events/Trips planned for this half term
- Our beach trip
- Sports day
- Transition morning (getting ready for Year 2)
- Summer Fayre
Please see Newsletter for further details about events.
Please contact your class teacher if you need any further information or have a query. We are available via a message on Seesaw or class email.
The Year 1 team
Mrs Martin Miss Howes