Spring Term 1
Happy New Year! We hope that you all had a lovely Christmas break.
The children have all enjoyed last term’s topic of Blast Off! A particular highlight being the Space Day we had. There were so many amazing costumes and the children enjoyed all the space activities especially trying the space food!
We have also enjoyed the new parent drop in sessions which will continue this term on the first Thursday of every month. The children have loved having visitors in class and sharing work and activities.
Spring Term Topic: Fun and Games
This half term our topic is toys. We shall be focusing on history and learning about:
- Changes within living memory
- How toys have changed over time
Children will be able to bring in and share modern and old toys which they or their grandparents may have at home. We can then compare how different toys are today from the past.
In English, we will be looking at the story of Blue Kangaroo by Emma Chichester Clark. We will learn:
- how to develop our pleasure in reading and increasing our motivation to read
- new words
- to listen to stories at a level beyond that at which we can read independently
- to link what we have read or heard read to our own experiences
- to draw on what we already know or on background information and vocabulary provided by the teacher
- to use a capital letter for names of people, places, the days of the week, and the personal pronoun ‘I’.
This term we are looking at:
Learning to partition numbers into 10s and 1s
Ordering a set of random numbers from smallest to largest
Addition & Subtraction
- Representing and using number bonds and related subtraction facts within 20
- Adding and subtracting one-digit and two-digit numbers to 20, including 0 3D shapes
- Recognising and naming common 2-D and 3-D shapes
This half term the topic is ‘Medicine, Drugs and Me’. We shall be talking about when and why we have taken medicines. We will learn:
- which adults can give us medicines
- about where medicines come from and know ‘medicine wise’ rules
- that some people need to take medicines regularly to stay well
- about how to get the attention of an adult in an emergency
- about how to stay safe around medicines and household substances
Our topic this term is Animals including Humans. This half term we will be focussing on the human body.
We will learn to:
- identify, name and label the basic parts of the human body
- say which part of the body is associated with each sense
We will be designing and making a puppet and sketching toys.
We will be learning about different families of musical instruments and how they work. We will be learning to identify them by their sounds in different pieces of music on theme of Toys.
Faith and Wonder Learning
We will be looking at the topic of Gospel and learning that Christians believe that Jesus brings good news for all people. We will read stories from the Bible to see what Jesus was teaching people about God and the good news that God offers; peace, love, forgiveness and friendship.
We will be looking at our topic Creating Content and using iPads to film and take pictures. We shall also learn how to add text to pictures we have created.
We will be continuing to focus on dance during indoor PE and continuing with our ball skills in outdoor PE.
How can you help?
- If you can spare any time at morning drop off or any other time during the day to help with reading, then please speak to your child’s class teacher. You may need to obtain a DBS check first (Please speak to the office ladies who can arrange this for you).
- Listen to your child read their reading book from school at least 5 times a week. Please make sure you write a comment so that we can see this is happening at home. Your child can change their own book once they have read at home.
- Complete the homework tasks that are provided each week.
- Keep reading stories to your child to enrich their vocabulary and enjoyment of stories.
Events/Trips planned for this half term
- Phonics Workshop with Mrs Collins for Year 1 and 2 parents. You are invited to attend on either Wednesday 5th February 2-3pm or Thursday 6th February 6-7pm
- Friday 14th February – Wear a woolly hat and bring a donation of £1 to support local homeless charity, Turning Tides.
If there is any parent or grandparent who loves craft then we would be grateful for some help with our sewing projects.
Please come and see your class teacher if you need any further information or have a query. We are available at the end of the day after we have dismissed the class.
The Year 1 team
Miss Wilson Mrs Hendrick Mrs Love