Spring Term 2
We hope that you all had a lovely half term holiday.
We had a fun half term learning about London and New York and creating some beautiful skyline pictures which we hope to display around the school.
We learnt lots about space, writing a newspaper article about the first moon landing and listening to music from the Planets Suite by Gustav Holst.
We also enjoyed wearing our woolly hats all day and raising money for Turning Tides!
Spring Term Topic: Geography Focus
We will be learning about:
- About different tropics and time zones
- About the differences in climate
- To describe how London and New York have changed over time and why
- To identify landmarks (old and new) in both London and New York
- To consolidate our learning about the topic
In English, we will be looking at myths, legends and fables. We will learn:
- To identify the features of each different genre
- To know the differences between each of these genres
- To plan, write, edit and publish pieces of writing to do with these genres
- To answer questions about unknown texts
This half term we are looking at:
- Numbers up to one million, reading, ordering and partitioning
- Roman numerals up to 1000 and recognising years
- Line graphs and how they work
- Methods for short and long multiplication
We will be how to maintain friendships and how to get on with others.
We will be looking at directions.
Our topic this half term will be Forces. We will learn about:
- How forces affect objects
- Gravitational pull
- How friction can affect objects
- Air and water resistance
- The mechanisms of levers, pulleys and gears
Design and Technology Learning
We will learn about planning, building and evaluating our own mini version of a building in London or New York.
We will be composing and performing our own London or New York raps.
Faith and Wonder Learning
We will be continuing our work on Judaism and moving on to Salvation.
We will looking at drawing buildings using Sketchup.
We will be learning and doing gymnastics for our indoor PE sessions and we will be doing a net and wall unit outside.
How can you help?
- Encouraging your child to read regularly at home, both independently and to an adult. See the guidance sheet that we have sent out and questions in the children’s reading diary.
- Lots of regular times table testing including both multiplication and division facts. The faster the response, the better!
- Supporting your child with learning their spellings, discussing the meanings of words, discussing the phoneme and any rules, putting words into sentences and reviewing spellings from previous weeks
- If your child is using Lexia at school, please access this at home for some extra practice.
Events/Trips planned for this half term
- Parent consultation evenings Wednesday 18th March and Thursday 26th March
- World Book Day (Thursday 5th March) – start thinking about your costume!
- Year five visiting The Angmering School for a science day on Tuesday 17th March (see letter)
If you have any resources you are happy to loan to us or have any particular knowledge about
Please come and see your class teacher if you need any further information or have a query. We are available at the end of the day on the playground.
Many thanks for your support.
The Year Five team