Autumn Term 2
We can’t believe that we are already in the second half of this term! We were delighted with how well the children have settled into life in year five and how eager they are to learn. It was good to meet many parents at our consultation evenings and learn more about the children in our classes.
This half term is always a busy but fun and exciting time for the staff and children at St Margaret’s!
This booklet will outline the topics that we will be covering for the rest of this term.
Autumn Term Topic: The Victorians (History focus) continued ...
We will be learning about:
- How Brighton has changed since the Victorian times
- Why Brighton has changed
- Different attractions in Brighton and how and why they have changed over time
- Why Brighton become so popular in the Victorian times
In English, we will be continuing to look at the text Street Child (linked to the Victorians):
- Finding out about homelessness, taking notes and producing a non-fiction leaflet
- Writing our own ending to the story, using clues from the text
We will then look at the work of Charles Dickens. We will learn:
- To read and follow a play script
- To perform a scene from Oliver Twist
- To summarise a Dicken’s story
This half term we are looking at:
- The formal methods we have learnt for each operation
- Finding equivalent fractions using our times table knowledge
- Adding and subtracting fractions with the same denominator
- Adding and subtracting fractions with denominators that are multiples of the same number
- Looking at improper and mixed number fractions
- Read, write and order decimal numbers with up to three places
We will be looking at anti-bullying. Our unit for this term will be relationships.
We will be revising numbers, colours and looking at the weather.
Our topic this half term will be:
- Looking at the properties of different materials and how these are suited to their use
- Looking at the process of evaporation
- Learning about changes that are reversible
- Looking at how to separate materials
- Learning about how changes result in the formation of new materials
Design and Technology Learning (linked to the Victorians)
We will be looking at cross-stitch. We will be following a pattern to make a stitch a bookmark or card which will be sold at the Christmas disco.
We will be learning songs for our year five and six Christmas production, “Cinderella Rockafella”.
Faith and Wonder Learning
We will be looking at the unit “Incarnation” this half term.
We will be looking at Google Slides and using our Gmail account, focusing on research and presentation skills.
For our indoor PE we will be engaging in fitness activities and for our outdoor sessions we will be playing team games.
How can you help?
- Encouraging your child to read regularly at home, both independently and to an adult. Comprehension is a key part of the children’s reading development so asking lots of questions when you hear your child read is really beneficial for this.
- Lots of regular times table testing including both multiplication and division facts.
- Supporting your child with learning their spellings, discussing the meanings of words, discussing the phoneme and any rules sentences and reviewing spellings from previous weeks.
Events/Trips planned for this half term
- Anti-bullying week is week commencing 11th November
- Superhero dress up day Thursday 14th November
- Please see our newsletter with other dates for this busy half term.
If you have any resources you are happy to loan to us or have any particular knowledge about any of the topics we are learning about then please contact your child’s class teacher.
Please come and see your class teacher if you need any further information or have a query. We are available at the end of the day on the playground.
We look forward to working with you this term.
The Year 5 team