Summer Term 2
We hope that you all had a lovely half term break with your families.
May Day was a highlight from last half term. The children performed their dance brilliantly and the sun shone for us! We hope you enjoy the video.
It is now our last half term in year 5 and we can’t quite believe that the year has whizzed by so quickly!
Summer Term 2 Topic: Vikings
We will continue to learn about:
- When in the past the Vikings lived and where they came from
- How and why the Vikings invaded Britain
- How some kings in Britain dealt with the Viking invaders
- How Vikings lived and worked
- What happened during the Viking invasions and what Viking warriors were like
In English, firstly we will be reading the story of King Kong. We will learn:
- About jobs by writing a job advert for a leading lady for a new film
- To use language for choice by coming up with our own prehistoric creature and writing a fight scene between it and King Kong
- To predict what we think will happen next in the story
- To write our own ending to the story
Secondly, we will be looking at pirates! We will learn:
- About jobs on board ship by using our drama skills, writing persuasive letters and interviewing someone for a job
- To take notes, write these into sentences and produce our fact sheets
- To continue to edit our writing and publish this
This term we are looking at:
- Prime, square and cubed numbers
- Finding non-unit fractions of quantities
- Comparing areas and calculating the areas of rectangles
- How to read, write and convert time between analogue and digital clocks
- Formal methods for multiplication and division
- Solving problems by showing our working out
We will be learning about Safety and the Changing Body.
We will be learning about fruits.
Scientific Learning (The Human Life Cycle)
Our topic this half term will be Stages of Life. We will learn:
- To describe the differences in lifecycles of mammals
- To describe the stages of the lifecycle of an amphibian
- To describe the lifecycles of insects and birds
- To understand the terms complete metamorphosis and incomplete metamorphosis
- To begin to know the parts of a plant
- To know the lifecycle of a plant
- To describe the life process of reproduction in some plants
We will develop our skills using a range of 3D materials including clay and using water colour paints to produce work related to the Vikings.
We will be learning about different sea shanties, singing some and writing our own.
Faith and Wonder Learning
We will be looking at the Gospel part of the Big Story of the Bible.
We will be looking at coding programs, particularly Scratch.
We will be continuing to develop striking and fielding skills. We will be looking at skills used in athletics.
How can you help?
- Encouraging your child to read regularly at home, both independently and to an adult. See the guidance sheet that we have sent out and questions in the children’s reading diary.
- Lots of regular times table testing including both multiplication and division facts. The faster the response, the better!
- Using Sumdog to improve our mental recall
- Supporting your child with learning their spellings, discussing the meanings of words, discussing the phoneme and any rules, putting words into sentences and reviewing spellings from previous weeks
Events/Trips planned for this half term
- Friday 25th June Viking Day (dressing up optional)
- Wednesday 7th July Transfer morning
- For all other important school dates, please refer to the school website and dates for your diary
Please note that events may be subject to change due to current circumstances.
Please contact your class teacher if you need any further information or have a query.
The Year 5 team