Autumn Term 2
We can’t believe that we are already in the second half of this term! We were delighted with how well the children have settled into life in year five and how eager they are to learn. It was good to speak to many parents at our consultation meetings and learn more about the children in our classes.
The children have been fantastic and adapted well to the ‘new normal’ school day. This half term is always a busy but fun and exciting time for the staff and children at St Margaret’s, and despite the differences we will endeavour to make it so this year!
This booklet will outline the topics that we will be covering for the rest of this term.
Autumn Term 2 Topic: The Victorians (History Focus)
We will be learning about:
- How Brighton has changed since the Victorian times
- Why Brighton has changed
- Different attractions in Brighton and how and why they have changed over time
- Why Brighton become so popular in the Victorian times
In English, we will be looking at the text Street Child (linked to the Victorians). We will:
- Find out about homelessness, take notes and produce a non-fiction leaflet
- Write our own ending to the story, using clues from the text
We will then look at the work of Charles Dickens. We will learn:
- To read and follow a play script
- To perform a scene from Oliver Twist
- To summarise a Dickens’s story
This half term we are looking at:
- Consolidating addition and subtraction formal methods
- Learning formal methods for multiplication and division
- Statistics and interpreting data
- Consolidating number and place value
We will continue to reflect on the changes which this year has brought so far, and we will be looking at anti-bullying.
Our unit is ‘Je Peux’ meaning ‘I can.’ Children will be learning verbs and how to say they like doing an activity in French.
Scientific Learning (Properties of materials)
Our topic this half term will be:
- Looking at the properties of different materials and how these are suited to their use
- Looking at the process of evaporation
- Learning about changes that are reversible
- Looking at how to separate materials
- Learning about how changes result in the formation of new materials
Design and Technology Learning
We will be looking at cross-stitch. We will be following a pattern to make a cross-stitch card.
We will be learning about Nursery Rhymes as part of our Victorian topic, and continuing to learn to sing the song ‘Livin’ on a Prayer’ by Bon Jovi.
Faith and Wonder Learning
We will be looking at the unit “Incarnation” this half term. We will also be performing the Godly Play ‘The Circle of the Church Year.’
We will be looking at self-identity and online relationships, thinking about how we can keep safe when online.
For our indoor PE we will be engaging in fitness activities and for our outdoor sessions we will be playing invasion games.
How can you help?
- Encouraging your child to read regularly at home, both independently and to an adult. See the guidance sheet that we have sent out and questions in the children’s reading diary.
- Lots of regular times table testing including both multiplication and division facts. The faster the response, the better!
- Supporting your child with learning their spellings, discussing the meanings of words, discussing the phoneme and any rules, putting words into sentences and reviewing spellings from previous weeks
Events/Trips planned for this half term
- Anti-bullying week is the week commencing 16th November
- House day is on Tuesday 24th November – please wear house colours on this day
- Victorian Day on Friday 4th December
- Please see the Christmas events letter for other dates and events
If you have any particular knowledge about any of the topics we are learning about then please contact your child’s class teacher.
We are very happy to get back to you by telephone or email.
We look forward to working with you this term.
The Year 5 team