Summer Term 2
The second half of the Summer Term is always full o f happiness and tinged
with a little sadness. We will miss the children as they transition to their
respective secondary schools. We have thoroughly enjoyed getting to know
them but also seeing them mature throughout the year. Hopefully, the
activity packed weeks will leave your child with fond memories of their time
at St Margaret’s.
Thank you for all your support.
Topic: Maya (A non-European early civilisation)
We will be collating our learning about the Maya and using to produce a booklet in the style of Horrible Histories. We also plan to have the following practical activities:
- Maya-style weaving
- Maya mask-making
In English, we are currently writing a desert island survival guide, inspired by our reading of Kensuke’s Kingdom by Michael Morpurgo. We will then been looking at The Mysteries of Harris Burdick by Chris Van Allsburg. The children will use these quirky pictures to create their own short stories, using all of their writing skills acquired throughout the year.
This half term we will be drawing on all our mathematical skills and knowledge to complete a variety of mini-projects and problem-solving activities.
We will be exploring the concept of personal identity, as well as preparing ourselves for transition to secondary school. We will be learning about Human Rights with a visit from the NSPCC.
We will be learning how to order food and drink Au Café (at a French café).
Our topic this half term is the human body. We will be focussing on:
- The circulatory system
- The functions of the heart and lungs
We will focus on art linked to the Maya, including weaving and mask-making.
We are continuing our focus on exploring our identity through creating our own music. We will also be learning songs for our production and leavers’ service at Lancing College.
Faith and Wonder Learning
We will continue our learning about inspiring leaders to include Rosa Parks and Mother Teresa.
We will be drawing on our various computing skills to design an electronic product.
We will be refining our athletics and running skills in practice for the Sports Morning. We will be playing team games.
How can you help?
- Continuing to listen to your children read regularly at home / engage in discussions about the books your child is reading.
- Talk to your child about secondary school and the fantastic time they are going to have there.
- Have a great and fun-packed summer!
Events/Trips planned for this half term
Upcoming events. It is going to be a busy but enjoyable half term, including the following
- Bikeability (revised date to be confirmed)
- Week beginning 20.6.22: Cobnor Residential Week
- 6.22: Class photos and individual leavers’ photos
- 6.22: Talk with PC Sibun, our local Police Community Support Officer
- 7.22: Junior Sports morning
- 7.22: Leavers’ service at Lancing College
- 7.22: Transition day at secondary school
- 7.22: Parents invited to look at children’s work in classes (2pm – 4pm) for all year groups.
- 7.22: Leavers’ party at Arundel Lido (5.15-7.30)
- 7.22: Performance of our postponed production – 6.30pm
- 7.22: Performance of our postponed production – 1.30pm
- 7.22: Leavers’ service in school – 6.30pm
Please come and see your class teacher if you need any further information or have a query. We are available at the end of the day on the playground.
Enjoy the start of summer, for what will be your child’s last term at St Margaret’s! The Year 6 team