Autumn Term 2
We can’t believe that we are already in the second half of this term! We were delighted with how well the children have settled into life in year five and how eager they are to learn. It was good to meet many parents at our consultation evenings and learn more about the children in our classes.
This half term is always a busy but fun and exciting time for the staff and children at St Margaret’s as we get ready for the children’s last Christmas performance!
This booklet will outline the topics that we will be covering for the rest of this term.
Autumn Term Topic: The Battle of Britain (WW2) (History Focus)
We will be learning about:
- Battle of Britain
- Heroes of War including Douglas Bader
In English, we will:
- Have a greater emphasis on using learnt skills to produce a piece of independence writing involving choice
- Further research WW2 planes to produce an information page, looking at how this can be presented effectively
- Analyse sections of Blizcat in detail, thinking about how the author develops his characters
- Expand out descriptive writing techniques
We will also look at a variety of related texts in our guided reading groups
This term we are looking at:
- Revising long division and learning how to give the remainder as a decimal
We will be reminding the children about positive relationships in response to anti-bullying week. In addition, the Great Project will be working alongside the children to promote healthy relationships with friends and families.
We will be revising weather words and having a Christmas themed afternoon in French!
Our topic this half term will be:
- Evolution and Inheritance – recapping fossils (building on prior knowledge)
- Charles Darwin - Adaptation of plants and animals
We will be making our Christmas Pom Poms which will be available to buy at the Christmas Disco.
We will also continue to learn how to knit as this was an essential skill during the war. Volunteers VERY welcome! There will be an opportunity to sew for any children (and teachers) who find knitting a challenge.
We will be learning the songs for our performance: Cinderella and Rockafella!
Faith and Wonder Learning
We will be looking at the Creation Story (Genesis) and Cosmology. We will move onto Incarnation as we approach Christmas.
We will be learning about spreadsheets. We will insert and amend data and perform basic calculations.
For our indoor PE we will be engaging in fitness activities and for our outdoor sessions. We will be developing our invasion game skills.
How can you help?
- Encouraging your child to read regularly at home, both independently and to an adult. See the children’s home learning sheet for further detail.
- Lots of regular times table testing including both multiplication and division facts. The faster the response, the better!
- Supporting your child with learning their spellings, discussing the meanings of words, discussing the phoneme and any rules sentences and reviewing spellings from previous weeks.
- Supporting your child with their SATs booklet homework. Don’t forget the homework club on Wednesdays (see separate letter).
Events/Trips planned for this half term
it is exceptionally busy so please check the website for all details.
- Great Project (led by the charity Safe in Sussex) is a fun and interactive workshop about how to foster and maintain healthy relationships between families and friends (Arundel Class).
- Anti-bullying week starts the 11th November with a dress up as a superhero day on Thursday 14th
- Christmas Disco on the 22nd November with mufti day during the day.
- Christmas performances Thursday 12th December @ 6:30 and Friday 13th December @ 1:30 to parents.
- Tuesday 17th Dec, Carol Service at 6:00. It would be lovely to see as many children as possible attend as the teachers’ singing isn’t the best!
- Wednesday 18th Dec, Class parties. Children can wear their own clothes and we would like to see some Christmas Jumpers!
If you have any resources you are happy to loan to us or have any particular knowledge about any of the topics we are learning about then please contact your child’s class teacher.
We look forward to working with you this term.
The Year 6 team