Spring Term 1
Welcome back! We hope you all had a lovely Christmas time with your family and friends. Last term was very busy and exciting, particularly with our fantastic production of Cinderella Rockerfella. We hope your children enjoyed our trip to the Aviation Museum at Tangmere and that this supported their learning about the Battle of Britain. Further educational experiences were on offer: The Great Project; WW2 day including Tea Dance; Money Sense’s workshop and a delightful Carol Concert to round off the term.
Now we look forward to a new year and a new term.
Spring Term Topic: UK, Sussex, Brighton and Devil's Dyke (Geograohy Focus)
We will be learning about:
- Ceremonial counties of England
- Topography of West Sussex
- Landmarks of Brighton
- The history and unique geography of Devil’s Dyke
We are planning to visit Devil’s Dyke on 15th May 2020 and letters will be out later this term in regards to this.
In English, we will be looking at poetry. We will learn:
- To analyse different genres of poetry
- To perform the works of well-known, established poets
- To identify the key elements and present them in a different form
We will then look at writing to persuade and inform. We will learn:
- To gather evidence to support an opinion
- To use a range of resources to plan a written argument
- To write persuasively for a given audience
This term we are looking at:
- Fractions (multiplying fractions by whole numbers and fractions and dividing fractions by whole numbers)
- Shape and Measure
- Data analysis including pie charts
We will be learning about Cyber-bullying.
We will be looking at different types of food, restaurants and menus, shopping for food and expressing likes and dislikes.
Our topic this half term is electricity. We will be focusing on:
- Different symbols
- Brightness investigation
- Building circuits to create a burglar alarm
We will learn about Pop Art, in particular the work of Andy Warhol.
We will be using percussion instruments to enhance our poetry presentation.
Faith and Wonder Learning
We will be looking at Hinduism.
We will be using Google Drive to draft, edit and improve a short story for the BBC 500 word competition.
We will be refining and improving our gymnastic skills and creating sequences in indoor PE.
In outdoor PE, we will be using invasion games to improve our ball handling.
How can you help?
- Continuing to read regularly at home with lots of discussion about the book
- Lots of regular times table testing including both multiplication and division facts. The faster the response, the better! Please use Sumdog to encourage your child’s learning
- Supporting your child with learning their spellings
- Encouraging your child to complete homework tasks in their SATs revision booklets
Events/Trips planned for this half term
- French afternoon 14th February
- Please see our term dates for further information
If you have any resources you are happy to loan to us or have any particular knowledge about our topics, please contact your class teacher.
Please come and see your class teacher if you need any further information or have a query. We are available at the end of the day on the playground.
Happy New Year to you and your families. The Year 6 team