Autumn Term 1
Welcome to Year 6! We hope that you had a lovely, relaxing summer holiday and enjoyed a break.
We are very excited to start a new year with our new classes. We are looking forward to getting to know the children, finding out about their hobbies and interests and moving them on. We are confident that the year will be full of new challenges for the children and there will be lots of exciting learning opportunities.
This booklet will outline the topics that we will be covering this half term and subsequent booklets will inform you about the rest of the year.
Autumn Term 1 Topic: The Battle of Britain (WW2) History Focus
We will be learning about:
- How World War One led to World War Two
- Vehicles used in War
- Wartime heroes
- Tea Dance (19th October)
In English, we will be starting Letters From the Lighthouse and our work will revolve around this text over the term. We will:
- Read and analyse different poems
- Refine our planning, drafting, writing and editing skills
We will also look at a variety of related texts. We will:
- Respond to questions about the text
- Write a range of diaries, accounts and reports in keeping with the wartime period
This term we are looking at:
- Place Value (rounding numbers, Roman numerals and negative numbers)
- Efficient methods for using the four operations to calculate numbers
- Revising the times table facts for up to 12 x 12
This term we are focusing on the theme of respect. We are thinking about how we want people to respect us in different situations and how we can gain respect from our peers and adults.
We are learning the names of fruits and vegetables in French and how to express our likes and dislikes.
We will be:
- Grouping plants and animals according to their similarities and differences
- Learning about the Linnaean System
- Learning about microorganisms
We will learn about the work of the wartime artist Henry Moore. Our work will include creating design pages in our books. We will be using the associated skills of tone, texture, mark-making, highlighting and creating shadow.
We are developing our skills of focused listening, performing and improvising around songs on theme of “Happy”. We will be listening to wartime music and learning some songs ready for our tea dance.
Faith and Wonder Learning
We will be looking at the Patriarchs of Christianity: Abraham, Isaac and Jacob
We will be learning about how computers are used to encrypt communications online and how they have been used to crack codes.
We will also be looking at how to keep safe online.
For our indoor PE we will be engaging in gymnastics and fitness activities and, for our outdoor sessions, we will be developing our invasion game skills.
How can you help?
- Encouraging your child to read regularly at home, both independently and to an adult. See the children’s home learning sheet for further detail.
- Lots of regular times table testing including both multiplication and division facts and encouraging your child to complete their weekly Sumdog challenges which are set for homework.
- Supporting your child with learning their spellings, discussing the meanings of words, discussing the phoneme and any rules sentences and reviewing spellings from previous weeks.
Events/Trips planned for this half term
- Tea Dance Tuesday 19th October. Those with wartime stories and artefacts are also welcome to join us. Please leave a message with the office staff
- Please read our newsletter for additional dates this term
Please note that events may be subject to change due to current circumstances.
If you have any resources you are happy to loan to us or have any particular knowledge about any of the topics we are learning about then please contact your child’s class teacher via the school office: email@example.com
We look forward to working with you this term.
The Year 6 team