Autumn Term 2
We can’t believe that we are already in the second half of this term! We were delighted with how well the children have settled into life in year six and how eager they are to learn. It was good to talk to many parents at our consultation evenings and learn more about the children in our classes.
This half term is always a busy but fun and exciting time for the staff and children at St Margaret’s as we get ready for the children’s last Christmas performance!
This booklet will outline the topics that we will be covering for the rest of this term.
Autumn Term Topic: The Battle of Britain (WW2) (History Focus)
We will be learning about:
- Battle of Britain
- Heroes of War including Douglas Bader
- Have a greater emphasis on using learnt skills to produce a piece of independence writing involving choice
- Further research WW2 planes to produce an information page, looking at how this can be presented effectively
- Analyse sections of Blizcat in detail, thinking about how the author develops his characters
- Expand our descriptive writing techniques
We will also look at a variety of related texts in our guided reading groups
This term we are looking at:
- Fractions (using the four operations)
- Geometry (translation and reflection)
We will be learning about how a Growth Mindset can help us achieve our full potential.
We will learn to say the area we live in and the rooms we have in our house.
Our topic this half term will be:
- Evolution and Inheritance – recapping fossils (building on prior knowledge)
- Charles Darwin - Adaptation of plants and animals
We will be making our Christmas Pom Poms and continuing to learn about Henry Moore.
We will be listening to the songs for our performance: Archibald’s War.
Faith and Wonder Learning
We will be looking at the Creation Story (Genesis) and Cosmology. We will move onto Incarnation as we approach Christmas.
We will be learning about spreadsheets. We will insert and amend data and perform basic calculations.
For our PE we will be engaging in fitness activities and developing our invasion game skills.
How can you help?
- Encouraging your child to read regularly at home, both independently and to an adult. See the children’s home learning sheet for further detail.
- Lots of regular times table testing including both multiplication and division facts. The faster the response, the better!
- Supporting your child with learning their spellings, discussing the meanings of words, discussing the phoneme and any rules sentences and reviewing spellings from previous weeks.
- Encourage your child to go on Google Classroom so they are up to date with announcements and work.
Events/Trips planned for this half term
- Tuesday 24th November is our House Day where we would like children to wear the clothes of their colour team to school.
- Please see the Christmas letter for important dates this half term.
If you have any resources you are happy to loan to us or have any particular knowledge about any of the topics we are learning about then please contact your child’s class teacher. Class email addresses:-
We look forward to working with you this term.
The Year 6 team