Summer Term 2
The second half of the Summer Term is always full of happiness and tinged with a little sadness. We will miss the children as they transition to their respective secondary schools. We have thoroughly enjoyed getting to know them but also seeing them mature throughout the year. Hopefully, the weeks packed full of activities will give your child fond memories of their time at St Margaret’s.
Thank you for all your support.
Summer Term 2 Topic: Maya (A non-European Early Civilisation)
We will be learning lots of facts about the Maya so that we can produce a booklet in the style of Horrible Histories. We also hope to have the following practical lessons:
Maya Mask making
- Clay pots
If you have any Maya-related books, artefacts or information, we would love to hear from you.
In English, we have been looking at the images of Harris Burdick. The children are using these quirky pictures to create their own short stories, using all of their writing skills taught throughout the year.
Next, we will be writing a booklet in the style of Horrible Histories. This will be about the Maya, and we are thinking of ways of presenting informative but entertaining information to a child-audience.
This half term, as well as revising our knowledge from previous terms, we will learn about:
- Problem solving activities
We will be learning about relationships, risks associated with alcohol and how to administer first aid to someone who is choking or unresponsive.
We will also be learning about the changes experienced during puberty, conception and birth. More information about this part of the RSE/PSHE curriculum will be out soon.
We will learn a familiar Fairy Tale in French and learn strategies to help decode longer pieces of spoken and written text that will contain unknown language.
Our topic this half term the human body. We will be focussing on:
- Circulatory system
- Functions of the heart and lungs
We will focus on art linked to the Maya to include masks, clay work and weaving.
We are learning songs to sing at our leavers’ events.
Faith and Wonder Learning
We will continue our work about inspiring leaders to include Rosa Parks and Mother Teresa. We will also learn about parables.
We will be completing a unit of work on vector drawings.
We will be refining our athletics and running skills in practise for the Sports Morning. We will be playing team games.
How can you help?
- Continuing to read regularly at home with lots of discussion about the book.
- Continue regular times table testing including both multiplication and division facts. The faster the response, the better!
- Talk to them about secondary school and the fantastic time they are going to have.
- Have a great and fun-packed summer!
- Continuing to use Sumdog to consolidate maths learning
Events/Trips planned for this half term
- Please see our regular newsletters and website for details of our upcoming events. It is going to be a busy but enjoyable half term
- 7.21 Money Shop
- w/c 5.7.21 Cycling proficiency week (bike needed on one day only)
- 7.21 Event to be confirmed
- 7.21 Junior Sports morning
- 7.21 School reports released
- 7.21 Beach day
- 7.21 Year Six leavers’ evening (parents and children) – (hopefully)
- 7.21 Leavers’ Celebration Afternoon
Please note that events may be subject to change due to current circumstances.
If you have any resources, you are happy to loan to us or have any particular knowledge about our topic (The Maya), please contact your class teacher. We would be particularly grateful for any balls of wool or thread.
Please email the school office if you have any questions for us and they will pass these to the relevant staff member.
Enjoy the final half term of Summer, for what will be your child’s last at St Margaret’s!
The Year 6 team