Autumn Term 2
We can’t believe that we are already in the second half of this term! We were delighted with how well the children have settled into life in Year 6 and how eager they are to learn. It was good to talk to many parents at our consultation evenings and learn more about the children in our classes.
This half term is always a busy but fun and exciting time for the staff and children at St Margaret’s as Christmas approaches.
This booklet will outline the topics that we will be covering for the rest of this term.
Autumn Term Topic: Illusion
We will be learning about how artists have created optical illusions in a variety of ways, such as false perspective, “trompe l’oeil” (“deceiving the eye”), photorealism and op art.
We will examine the work of various artists, including Brigitte Riley, Victor Vasarely, Jaques Rousseau, William Hogarth and Borrell de Caso.
We will study line, shape, colour, space and form.
In English, we will continue to read Kensuke’s Kingdom by Michael Morpurgo. This half term, we will be writing a diary entry and newspaper report, and inventing a backstory for one of the characters.
We will also be writing stories based on The Mysteries of Harris Burdick by Chris Van Allsburg.
In our guided reading sessions we will be reading and analysing The Song Walker by Zillah Bethell to develop our comprehension skills.
This term we are:
- Learning about factors, multiples and the order of operations (BODMAS)
- Learning to calculate fractions using the four operations
- Finding equivalent fractions
We will be learning about our health and wellbeing.
We will learn vocabulary related to equipment in the classroom.
We will be completing our learning about electricity before moving on to our topic of light, where we will:
- Learn about the structure of the eye and how we see
- Discover how light travels
- Observe how white light is composed of all the colours of the rainbow
We will be developing our skills at performing in an ensemble and thinking about how music connects us with our past.
Faith and Wonder Learning
We will be looking at the Christian concept of Incarnation as we approach Christmas.
We will be learning about the risks of sharing images online. We will also be learning about how data is stored, transmitted and used to make decisions.
In gymnastics, we will be improving our balancing and creating sequences of movement to music. In games, we will be improving our attacking and defending skills.
How can you help?
- Supporting your child with their SATs learning by completing the pages set in the revision guides each week for English and Maths homework. (Remember, your child can log on to Google Classroom to view the weekly homework sheet.)
- Encouraging your child to access and complete the weekly Sumdog task.
- Supporting your child with learning their spellings, discussing the meanings of words and discussing the phonemes (sounds).
- Encouraging your child to read regularly at home, both independently and to an adult.
Events/Trips planned for this half term
- Monday 13th November: Odd-sock day for Anti-Bullying Week
- Thursday 30th November: Pantomime performance in school
- Thursday 7th December: Christmas Jumper day
- Monday 11th December: Church service at 9.15 (parents invited)
- Wednesday 13th December: Carols in the Car Park at 6pm
- Thursday 14th December: Christmas Party in class
For further events, please see Newsletters sent out via ParentMail
We are always looking for volunteers to listen to children read and would welcome any support you can offer.
If you have any resources you are happy to loan to us or have any particular knowledge about any of the topics we are learning about then please contact your child’s class teacher. Class email addresses:-
The Year 6 team