Spring Term 2
Hello! We hope you all had a lovely half term keeping dry with your family and friends. This term is a busy one academically, whilst we try to keep a balance between working hard for the forth-coming SATs and enjoying the start of Spring. Already the children have successfully completed a practice SATs week, with smiles and a sense that this is not as daunting as expected. Children have looked at their mock SATs papers and we will be happy to discuss these at Parents Evening.
Spring Term Topic: UK, The Devil's Dyke (Geography Focus)
We will be learning about:
- The unique geography of Devil’s Dyke and how it was formed
- The history of Devil’s Dyke, including some intriguing myths
- How to create an engaging, informative record of our learning
We are planning to visit Devil’s Dyke on 15th May 2020 and letters will be out shortly in regards to this.
In English, we will be looking at autobiographies. We will:
- Read and analyse autobiographies from established writers
- Write about our own experiences in the format of an autobiography
We will then look at writing to persuade and inform through travel writing. We will:
- Look at the language of travel brochures
- Write our own persuasive piece of travel writing for a given audience
This term we are looking at:
- Mean, mode and median
- Reflection and translation
- Reviewing Key Stage 2 maths learning
We will be discussing the media portrayal of Body Image and harmful substances
We will continue to look at different types of food, restaurants and menus, shopping for food and expressing likes and dislikes.
Our topic this half term is light. We will be focussing on:
- How the eye works
- Light and shadows
How light travels
We will continue to focus on Pop Art and the work of Andy Warhol. We will use our knowledge of colour and design to create a fabric collage pouch for sunglasses or a mobile phone.
We will be listening to music from the 60s and 70s, and reflecting on how it influences music today.
Faith and Wonder Learning
We will be looking at the Easter Story and Salvation.
We will be revisiting spreadsheets and use them to record our own data.
At first, we will complete our ‘cluster multi-skills competition’ and then Debbie Webb from Activ8 will be working with us on relaxation and mindfulness techniques. In Outdoor PE sessions, we will work at improving our Net and Wall skills.
How can you help?
- Continuing to read regularly at home with lots of discussion about the book
- Lots of regular times table testing including both multiplication and division facts. The faster the response, the better!
- Supporting your child with learning their spellings
- Encouraging your child to complete homework tasks in their SATs revision booklets
- Come along to our Homework Club sessions on a Wednesday after school where the team will be present to support you and your child’s learning
Events/Trips planned for this half term
- World Book Day: Thursday 5th March – come dressed as a book character
- SATs Information sessions for parents:
3.3.2020: 9am-9.45am and 4.3.2020: 6pm-6.45pm . Information packs will be available.
If you have any resources you are happy to loan to us or have any particular knowledge about our topics, please contact your class teacher. We would be grateful for fabric for the art project.
Please come and see your class teacher if you need any further information or have a query. We are available at the end of the day on the playground.
The Year 6 team