Spring Term 2
Welcome back and we hope you all had a restful half-term holiday! We have come back to glorious sunshine and hopefully the good weather will continue.
Last half-term was a chance to really explore Ancient Greek times and we will be continuing with this topic, finding out about Ancient Greek theatre, which will complement our learning about play scripts in English this half term. We were delighted with the beautiful poems the children wrote about the sea; this was a topic which really fuelled their creative imagination, and we were very proud of the work they produced.
Now we look forward to a busy time putting on our Year 3 & 4 play Treasure
Spring Term Topic: Ancient Greeks
We will be learning about:
- The geography of Ancient Greece
- Life in Ancient Greece
- Ancient Greek discoveries and inventions
- Ancient Greek Theatre
In English, we will be looking at play scripts. We will learn:
- To identify features of a play script
- To read and perform a play script
- To write our own play script for the Greek Story of Jason and the Golden Fleece
This term we are looking at:
Subtracting using a written method
Adding and subtracting fractions
Converting improper fractions to a mixed number
Converting between fractions and decimal numbers
Counting in tenths and hundredths
We will be thinking about growing and changing and what happens to us during the different stages of our life.
We will continue to look at how to discuss our family, birthday, likes and dislikes.
This half term will continue to learn about states of matter. We will learn:
- To understand about solids, liquids and gases
- About changes of state
- About measuring changes of temperature
- To explore our learning through investigation, predicting and experiments
We will be researching, designing and making Ancient Greek theatre masks.
We will be continuing with our ukulele lessons.
Faith and Wonder Learning
We will be thinking about temptation, and how Jesus was tempted in the desert. We will be thinking about how we can resist temptation and will be taking part in the Temptation Challenge!
We will be using “Timetable Rockstars” to practice or tables and “Scratch Create” to enhance our knowledge of block programming.
In indoor PE we will be practising movement and balance techniques and also keeping fit with Jump Start Johnny.
In outdoor PE we will be working on our net and wall game skills, focusing on tennis and volleyball.
How can you help?
- Continuing to read regularly at home, both independently and to an adult, with lots of discussion about the book
- Lots of regular times table testing including both multiplication and division facts
- Supporting your child with learning their spellings, discussing the meaning of words, putting them into sentences and reviewing spellings from previous weeks
- Encouraging your child to practise their musical instrument
- Helping your child to learn their lines and/or song words for our play, Treasure Island
Events/Trips planned for this half term
- We are looking forward to welcoming you to our Spring Ukulele Concert on the 18th March at 1:30pm.
- We will be performing the Year 3 and 4 play Treasure Island on the 31st March and 1st April
- Please see the dates for your diary sheet for general dates of events of things happening in school
Many thanks, Year 4 team