Autumn Term 2
What a fantastic first half term the children have had learning about street art and enjoying the last of the summer weather before the dark nights of winter creep in!
The children have been enjoying their Djembe lessons. We now look forward to continuing our new create topic and new units in all subjects.
Autumn Term Topic: Street Art
Autumn Term Create (Street art)
In our create lessons, we are continuing to learn about street art and focusing on the different aspects of street art and using different media to create our own. This will lead to a final piece at the end of the term. This term we are looking at:
- Celebrating people
- Celebrating places
- Changing minds
- Creating a collaborative final piece.
In English, we will be analysing poetry and writing our own poems based ‘Wings’ by Pie Corbett.
Using the story ‘The Boy, the Horse, the Fox and the Mole’ to help us understand speech punctuation.
Looking at the picture book ‘A Small Miracle’ and writing the narrative as a class.
This term we are looking at:
- Measurement – area
- Multiplication and Division
We will be continuing to learn about Families and relationships followed by Health and wellbeing.
- Disability Stereotyping
- Families in the Wider World
- Change and Loss
- Looking after our teeth
- Relaxation: Visualisation
- Celebrating mistakes
- Meaning and purpose: My role
- My happiness
We will be continuing to learn about Je me Presente then leading into Chez moi (My house). Different types of buildings, and different rooms within a house.
We are looking at:
- Everyday electrical appliances
- Electrical circuits
- Conductors and Insulators
- Switches and a switch investigation
Children will continue learning the Djembe with Mr Chalk, who is a music teacher from West Sussex Music. This will develop the children’s understanding of rhythm, pitch and beat before moving onto Ukuleles later in the year.
We will be using Scratch to play games, evaluate these games and be able to create our own.
For our indoor PE we will be engaging in gymnastic activities with Mrs Gibbs and for our outdoor sessions will be working with Mr Mayne on team building, building resilience, using one’s initiative and first aid.
Faith and Wonder Learning
We will be answering the question ‘How do Christians show that reconciliation with God and other people is important?’
How can you help?
- Encouraging your child to read regularly at home, both independently and to an adult. 5 reads per week please.
- Lots of regular times table testing including both multiplication and division facts. The faster the response, the better! Times Table Rock Stars is great for this.
- Supporting your child with learning their spellings, discussing the meanings of words, using the spellings in sentences and reviewing spellings from previous weeks.
- Help your child to pack their own bags and organise their belongings each morning. Year 4 is a great age to start teaching them to take responsibility for their own possessions.
Events/Trips planned for this half term
See dates letters attached to newsletters for all the exciting Christmas events coming up.
Please contact your class teacher either via the office or email.
We look forward to working with you this term.
Mr Hallam & Mrs Page (Fox)
Mrs Parris, Mrs Strukelj, Mrs Fordham and Mrs Pelham (Mole)
The Year 4 team