Arutumn Term 2
What a fantastic first half term the children have had learning about Cumbria and the counties of England and enjoying the last of the summer weather before the dark nights of winter crept in!
As it is now cold, please make sure that children come into school wearing a coat or jacket.
The children have been enjoying their Djembe drumming lessons and we will post videos of their lessons on Google Classroom for your enjoyment. We now look forward to learning about the Anglo-Saxons and enjoying the run up to Christmas!
Autumn 2 Term Topic: The Anglo-Saxons
We will be learning about:
- Who the Anglo-Saxons were and how they fit into a historical timeline
- Where they came from and why they settled in England
- What an Anglo-Saxon village was like
- How to use questioning to identify artefacts
- Changes to the Anglo Saxon religion and the Gods they worshipped
- Anglo-Saxon crime and punishment
We also have Anglo Saxon Day and many practical art-based activities over this half term.
In English, we will be looking at a story set in Anglo-Saxon times called ‘The Grey Dog.’ We will learn:
- How to spot historical details in a story and use them effectively in our own writing
- How to use descriptive language to create a picture of our setting in our reader’s mind
- How to plan our story and understand tension by using the story mountain planning format
- To plan, draft and edit our own version of the story
We will also learn about the Anglo Saxon myth of Beowulf which was written in Anglo Saxon times and create a comic strip which retells the story.
This term we are looking at:
- Number: multiplication and division
- Measurement: length and perimeter
We will be learning about how a Growth Mind-set can help us achieve our full potential.
We will be learning how to say the name of animals in French.
Fox’s science topic this half term will be Electricity! We will be learning:
- To understand what electricity is, the dangers it presents, and how to work safely with it
- How to construct simple electrical circuits
- To find out about conductors and insulators
- To understand electrical symbols
Mole’s science topic will be Teeth and Digestion. We will:
- Learn about human digestion
- Know the parts of the digestive system and how they work
- Look at animal digestion
- Learn about the types of, and functions, of teeth and how to look after them
- Know about the function of the tongue
In DT we will be researching, planning, designing and making our own torches using the skills learned in our science lessons!
We will be learning how to play the Djembe.
Faith and Wonder Learning
We will continue our learning about Islam before moving be thinking about the big question ‘What is the Miracle of Christmas?’ through the storybook ‘A Small Miracle.’
We will be using the Paint program to create a repeating pattern and the tools of rotation and flipping to design a symmetrical Anglo-Saxon inspired brooch.
In indoor PE we will be practising movement and balance techniques and also keeping fit with Jump Start Johnny.
In outdoor PE we will be working on our net and wall game skills, focusing on tennis and volleyball.
How can you help?
- Continuing to read regularly at home at least 5 times a week with lots of discussion about the book.
- Regular times table testing. The faster the response, the better! Times Tables Rockstars is a great online tool for this. Every child has a log in. https://ttrockstars.com/
- Supporting your child with learning their spellings, discussing the meanings of words, putting them into sentences and reviewing spellings from previous weeks.
Events/Trips planned for this half term
- Christmas Panto! Tuesday 1st
- Anglo-Saxon Day will be on Thursday 3rd December! Letters are on the website
- Please see our newsletter with other dates for this busy half term
Please remember to use Google Classroom! Both classes regularly post examples of the work they have been doing. It is also a useful space to check homework tasks and self-isolation learning activities. We would love to see any work the children complete at home.
Please remember not to approach the class teachers at the end of the day whilst they are on the playground. This is to minimalise contact that could spread illness. Any queries, please contact the school office or send an email to the class teachers at:
The Year 4 Team