Summer Term 2
We hope that you all had a lovely half term break!
We had a brilliant half term with the highlight being our trip to Pulborough Brooks. All the children had a great day exploring the river and netting mini-beasts in the pond. We were very impressed with how well they behaved, how interested they were in their learning, and how fantastically well they represented the school!
We all enjoyed the jubilee celebrations at the end of the half term, thank you to all parents that came and celebrated with us.
It is now our last half term in year four and we can’t quite believe that the children will be going up to year 5 shortly!
Topic: Ancient Greece
This half term we will be looking at our new topic on Ancient Greece. We will learn:
- Who the Ancient Greeks were?
- About the origins of the Olympic games
- Greek gods and goddesses
We will also have a Greek Day where will be doing various activities based on the Ancient Greeks.
In English, we will be thinking about grammar, and learning to write letters and instructions. We will:
* Be thinking about different types of sentences
* Focusing on the book ‘The Treasure of the Loch Ness Monster’.
* Understand the features of a newspaper report and use this to write a report on the Loch Ness monster
This term we are looking at:
* Formal written methods for multiplication and working out multiplication word problems
* Using apparatus and the pictorial methods to divide
* Classifying quadrilaterals and triangles
* Measuring angles
* Adding and subtracting money and converting between pounds and pence
We will be learning and practicing some mindfulness strategies to help us in our daily lives.
We will be learning about La Famille and introducing members of the family and French.
Our topic this half term will be Habitats. We will learn:
- About the different habitats of living things
- About how habitats provide for the basic needs of animals and plants
- To group and classify living things
- The impact of the changing environment on living things
We will be making a storybook with moving parts (pop-up book) based around the Loch Ness monster
Music Learning - Wednesday afternoons
We will be continuing with our tenor horn lessons.
Researching and storing data using spreadsheets; designing a weather station that gathers and records data; learning how weather forecasts are made.
Both classes will be working on cricket this half term and will be learning the fundamentals and practice these.
Faith and Wonder Learning
We will be looking at Gospel and thinking about our big question ‘What kind of world did Jesus want?’
How can you help?
- Encouraging your child to read regularly at home, both independently and to an adult. See the guidance sheet that we have sent out and questions in the children’s’ reading diary.
- Lots of regular times table testing including both multiplication and division facts. The faster the response, the better!
- Supporting your child with learning their spellings, discussing the meanings of words, discussing the phoneme and any rules, putting words into sentences and reviewing spellings from previous weeks.
Events/Trips planned for this half term
- Dalesdown (14th-17th June)
- Multiplication tables check (W/C 20th June)
If you have any resources you are happy to loan to us or have any particular knowledge about any of our topics, please come and see us.
Please come and see your class teacher if you need any further information or have a query. We are available at the end of the day on the playground.
The Year Four team