Autumn Term 2
What a fantastic first half term the children have had learning about Anglo Saxons and enjoying the last of the summer weather before the dark nights of winter creep in!
The children have been enjoying their Djembe lessons. We now look forward to continuing our learning about the Anglo-Saxons and starting our new topic Cumbria and the Lake District.
Topic: Geography - Cumbria and the Lake District
As part of this topic we will be:
- Developing geographical knowledge and understanding
- Naming and locating the four countries (all) and capital cities (some) of the United Kingdom
- Naming and locating counties of the UK (Cumbria) and their identifying human and physical characteristics
- Describing and understanding key aspects of physical and human geography
- Learning the links between Cumbria and the Viking and Anglo-Saxon struggle for the Kingdom of England to the time of Edward the Confessor
- Finding out about Viking raids and invasion
- Learning about Christian conversion – Canterbury, Iona and Lindisfarne
In English, we will be looking at a story set in Anglo-Saxon times called ‘The Grey Dog.’ We will learn:
- How to use historical details in a story
- How to use lovely language to create a picture of our setting in our reader’s mind
- How to use ‘show, don’t tell’ detail to really bring our characters to life
- How to plan our story and understand tension by using the story mountain planning format
- To plan, draft and edit our own version of the story
This term we are looking at:
- Measurement – Length and Perimeter
- Multiplication and Division
We will be learning about Health and Wellbeing
- Looking after our teeth
- Relaxation: Visualisation
- Celebrating mistakes
- Meaning and purpose: My role
- My happiness
We will be learning about Les Legumes (vegetables).
(Fox - teeth and digestion with Mrs Bland)
We are looking at:
- Human digestion
- The parts of the digestive system and how they work
- Animal digestion
- Teeth and how to look after them
- The function of the tongue
Electricity (Mole with Mr Hallam)
We are looking at:
- Everyday electrical appliances
- Electrical circuits
- Conductors and Insulators
- Switches and a switch investigation
Design & Technology
In DT we will be researching, planning, designing and making our own torches using the skills learned in our science lessons!
Children will continue learning the Djembe with Miss White, who is a music teacher from West Sussex Music. This will develop the children’s understanding of rhythm, pitch and beat before moving onto Ukuleles later in the year.
We will be using the Paint program to create a repeating pattern and the tools of rotation and flipping to design a symmetrical Anglo-Saxon inspired brooch.
For our indoor PE we will be engaging in fitness activities and for our outdoor sessions, we will be playing hockey. Mr Mayne will be working with Mole class on team building, building resilience, using one’s initiative and first aid.
Faith and Wonder Learning
We will be thinking about the big question ‘What is the Miracle of Christmas?’ through the storybook ‘A Small Miracle.’
How can you help?
- Encouraging your child to read regularly at home, both independently and to an adult. 5 reads per week please.
- Lots of regular times table testing including both multiplication and division facts. The faster the response, the better! Times Table Rock Stars is great for this.
- Supporting your child with learning their spellings, discussing the meanings of words, using the spellings in sentences and reviewing spellings from previous weeks.
- Help your child to pack their own bags and organise their belongings each morning. Year 4 is a great age to start teaching them to take responsibility for their own possessions.
Events/Trips planned for this half term
- We will be watching a theatre group performance of the Pantomime Sleeping Beauty in school.
Thank you for all your support,
The Year 4 team