Autumn Term 2
What a fantastic first half term the children have had learning about Devon and enjoying the last of the summer weather before the dark nights of winter creep in!
The children have been enjoying their ukulele lessons and are excited to be performing in their first music concert to parents and carers. We now look forward to learning about the Anglo-Saxons and enjoying the run up to Christmas!
Autumn Term Topic: The Anglo-Saxons
We will be learning about:
- Who the Anglo-Saxons were and how they fit into a historical timeline
- Where they came from and why they settled in England
- What an Anglo-Saxon village was like
- What it was like to be a child in Anglo-Saxon times
- What the Anglo-Saxon kingdoms were and crime and punishment
- The archaeological find at Sutton Hoo
On Anglo-Saxon Day we will be learning about gods and goddesses, runes and Anglo-Saxon art
In English, we will be looking at a story set in Anglo-Saxon times called ‘The Grey Dog.’ We will learn:
- How to use historical details in a story
- How to use lovely language to create a picture of our setting in our reader’s mind
- How to use ‘show, don’t tell’ detail to really bring our characters to life
- How to plan our story and understand tension by using the story mountain planning format
- To plan, draft and edit our own version of the story
This term we are looking at:
- Arrays for multiplication and division
- The grid method for multiplication
- Fractions – exploring equivalent fractions
- Roman numerals
We will be thinking about our feelings.
We will be continuing to learn how to tell people different facts about ourselves in French.
Our topic this half term will be Electricity! We will be learning:
- To understand what electricity is, the dangers it presents, and how to work safely with it
- How to construct simple electrical circuits
- To find out about conductors and insulators
- To understand electrical symbols
In DT we will be researching, planning, designing and making our own torches using the skills learned in our science lessons!
We will be continuing to learn the ukulele.
Faith and Wonder Learning
We will be thinking about the big question ‘What is the Miracle of Christmas?’ through the storybook ‘A Small Miracle.’
We will be using the Paint program to create a repeating pattern and the tools of rotation and flipping to design a symmetrical Anglo-Saxon inspired brooch.
For our indoor PE we will be engaging in fitness activities and for our outdoor sessions, we will be playing hockey.
How can you help?
- Continuing to read regularly at home, with lots of discussion about the book.
- Lots of regular times table testing. The faster the response, the better!
- Supporting your child with learning their spellings, discussing the meanings of words, putting them into sentences and reviewing spellings from previous weeks.
Events/Trips planned for this half term
- Our ukulele music presentation will be on Wednesday 20th November at 2.25pm in the hall
- Anglo-Saxon Day will be on Friday 6th December! A letter detailing the day will go out nearer the time
- Please see our newsletter with other dates for this busy half term
If you have any resources you are happy to loan to us or have any particular knowledge about the Anglo-Saxons then please let us know!
Please come and see your class teacher if you need any further information or have a query. We are available at the end of the day on the playground.
We look forward to working with your children as we reach the end of the year and the Christmas festivities begin!
The Year 4 team