Spring Term 1
Welcome back! We hope you all had a lovely Christmas time with your family and friends. We had a fantastic half term learning about the mystery and intrigue of the Ancient Egyptians. The children all loved our Ancient Egyptian day which involved getting very messy making their own Canopic jars and clay scarab beetles. The children looked brilliant dressed up in their Ancient Egyptian costumes and certainly enjoyed their feast! Thank you to all that brought in food and costumes. The children’s Design and Technology project was sewing their own sock owl, which they did fantastically! It was wonderful watching each one take shape and they were all certainly original!
Now, we look forward to a new year and a new term.
Spring Term Topic: Geography - Canada
We will be learning:
- To locate some of the world’s countries using maps.
- To focus on Canada, concentrating on its environmental regions, key physical and human characteristics, countries, and major cities.
- To identify the position and significance of latitude, longitude, Equator, Northern Hemisphere, Southern Hemisphere.
In English, we will be looking at comic strips. We will learn:
- About the features of a comic strip and their purpose
- To write our own comic strip of our text ‘The Dragon Machine’ by Helen Ward
We will then look at writing instructions. We will learn:
- About the features of instruction writing
- What ‘bossy’ language to use
- How time connectives are used within instructions
This half term we are looking at:
- Place value, understanding what each digit means in a two or three digit number, ordering and comparing two and three digit numbers
- Mental and written methods for adding and subtracting two and three digit numbers.
- Multiplication, focusing mainly on the 2, 3, 4, 5, 8 and 10 times table
We will be learning about our relationships with family members and friends.
We will be recapping on previously learnt objectives and learning about how to address different members of our family in French.
Our topic this half term will be: Rocks and Fossils
- We will learn the three types of rocks: igneous, sedimentary and metamorphic, then study, compare and categorise rocks
- We will study the different properties of rocks, such as permeability or durability
- We will learn how fossils form
We will learn how to sketch different parts of a dragon’s body and then put it all together in one final sketch of a dragon. We will experiment using a variety of mediums to add colour and select our favourite to add colour to our final sketch.
We will be looking at the ceremonial music of the First Nations of Canada, studying pulse and rhythm, then composing, and performing our own communal drumming pieces.
We will be creating our own dragon animations using the program 2Animate on the website Purple Mash.
We will be practising the skills needed in net and wall games or hockey. We will also be using some interpretive dance to create our own dragon dances.
Faith and Wonder Learning
We will be learning to understand the Christian story of creation.
How can you help?
- Continuing to read regularly at home to an adult, with lots of discussion about the book.
- Lots of regular times table testing for the 2, 3, 4, 5 and 10 times tables. The faster the response, the better!
- Supporting your child with learning their spellings, discussing the meanings of words, putting them into sentences and reviewing spellings from previous weeks.
Events/Trips planned for this half term
- As part of our geography topic on Canada, we have the exciting opportunity to email a school in Canada to find out what life is like for Canadian children. This will be done through the class teacher email address.
- See the dates for your diary sheet for general dates of events of things happening in school. These will be confirmed throughout the term.
If you have any resources you are happy to loan to us or have any particular knowledge about Canada (or any other topics) and would be happy to come in to talk to the children, please let us know.
Happy New Year to you and your families. The Year 3 team