Summer Term 2
We hope you all had a lovely, restful half term break.
We can hardly believe that we are in the last half term of Year 3 already! We hope you enjoyed the Platinum Jubilee celebrations. It was a lovely afternoon and the children enjoyed watching the dances.
The children are currently learning about life in the Roman times in their Topic lessons and the functions of plants in Science.
Hopefully, the sunshine will return this half term as we look forward to many upcoming events.
Topic: - History - The Romans
We will be learning:
- About the story of Romulus and Remus and say how they are believed to be involved in the building of the city of Rome
- To talk about the different roles in Roman Society
- About the Roman Army
- To design and make a Roman Shield
- About the story of Boudicca
In English, we will be studying the story, Escape from Pompeii by Christina Balit. We will be learning:
- To respond to a text, giving our thoughts and feelings about what has happened, what we like or don’t like, how we feel about the characters etc
- To plan and write a recount in role as a given character
- To plan and write poems
- About the features of leaflets and how to plan and create one
This term we are looking at:
- Measurement, comparing and adding mass and volume/capacity
- Recognising angles and pairs of perpendicular and parallel times in 2D shapes
- Learning 2, 3, 4, 5, 8 and 10 times tables so we can answer them at speed
- Telling the time to 5 minutes and use the 24 hour clock
We are looking at economic wellbeing and transitioning.
We are learning about the Red Riding Hood story as well as looking at the different parts of the body.
Our topic this half term will be Plants. We will:
- Learn about the different parts of flowering plants and be able to explain their functions
- Investigate how water is transported in plants and understand that plants make their own food from sunlight, water and carbon dioxide
- Learn about the life cycle of a flowering plant
We will look closely at Roman artwork and creating our own Roman mosaic using paper.
We will continue to use Charanga to support our learning of pulse, rhythm and pitch.
We will be learning about how record and sort out data using our iPad and Chromebook.
Otter Class will be working with Mr Mayne this half term on Friday afternoons to develop team work skills, problem solving and will also be covering elements of First Aid. He will work.
Badger Class will be looking at a striking and fielding unit and athletics for their outdoor sessions.
Faith and Wonder Learning
We are learning about the ‘People of God’, from the Old Testament, the covenant made with God by Noah, and thinking what that means for Christians and Jews to follow God today.
How can you help?
- Aim to read with your child at least four times a week. Little and often is the best approach.
- Encouraging your child to log in to TTRS (as stated on the home learning sheet) and helping them to learn their times tables.
- Supporting your child with learning their spellings, discussing the meanings of words, putting them into sentences and reviewing spellings from previous weeks
Events/Trips planned for this half term
This half term we are going to Fishbourne Roman Palace on Thursday 7th July. Look out for further details.
Sports Day is Friday 1st July starting at 9:30am
Please see the dates for your diary sheet for general dates of events of things happening in school.
If you have any resources you are happy to loan to us or have any particular knowledge about the Romans (or any other topics) and would be happy to come in to talk to the children, please let us know.
Thank you for all your support,
The Year 3 team