Autumn Term 1
Welcome to Year 3! We hope you all had a lovely, restful summer holiday and are ready to start the new school year.
We are very much looking forward to getting to know the children and helping them to flourish and reach their full potential.
We are hoping that all children will settle quickly into the daily routine.
In Year 3 we explore a range of exciting topics which we hope will enthuse the children through their learning journey.
Topic: History - The Stone Age
We will be learning:
- To place the Stone Age on a timeline
- To name and identify Stone Age beasts
- About Stone Age dwellings and how the people survived
- About Stonehenge and the theories behind it
- About the dwelling of Skara Brae
- The theories behind Maiden Castle
In English, we will be studying the story Stone Age Boy by Satoshi Kitamura. We will be learning:
- To collect information about stone age beasts
- To write poems about stone age beasts
- To think about characters and their characteristics
To plan, write and evaluate a story based upon one which we have read
This term we are looking at:
- Counting in 2, 3, 4, 5, 10, 50 and 100s
- Place value
- Addition and subtraction
- Multiplication and division
- Learning 2, 3, 4, 5 and 10 times tables so we can answer them at speed
We will be learning about family and relationships.
We will be learning how to greet people in French and initiate a basic conversation.
Our topic this half term will be Animals including humans (specifically skeletons). We will:
- Identify that humans and some other animals have skeletons and muscles for support, protection and movement
We will be looking at Stone Age paintings that have been found on walls of caves around the world and will try to re-create our own by mixing our own paints from things found around school and painting with natural tools.
We will be learning the difference between pulse and rhythm.
We will be looking at networks and the internet.
We will practise the gymnastic skill of balancing and will begin an outside unit of work developing ball skills.
Faith and Wonder Learning
We are learning about what it means to be a Christian and tackling the Big Question ‘What kind of world would Jesus have wanted?'
How can you help?
- Continuing to read regularly at home to an adult, with lots of discussion about the book.
- Lots of regular times table testing for the 2, 5 and 10 times tables. The faster the response, the better!
- Supporting your child with learning their spellings, discussing the meanings of words, putting them into sentences and reviewing spellings from previous weeks.
Events/Trips planned for this half term
- We will be visiting Butser Ancient Farm on Thursday 14th October. The children will get a chance to roam replica Stone Age buildings and take part in Stone Age crafts and historical activities.
- Please see the dates for your diary in Newsletter 1 for general dates of events of things happening in school.
If you have any resources you are happy to loan to us or have any particular knowledge about the Stone Age (or any other topics) and would be happy to come in to talk to the children, please let us know.
Thank you for all your support,
The Year 3 team