Summer Term 2
We hope you all had a lovely, restful half term break.
We can hardly believe that we are in the last half term of Year 3 already! We hope you enjoyed the May Day video uploaded to our website. It was a lovely afternoon and the children enjoyed watching each other’s dances.
The children are currently learning about life in the Roman times. Unfortunately, our Roman trip to Bignor has been cancelled but we hope to have a Roman day in school on the 16th July. More details to follow. Hopefully, the sunshine will return this half term as we look forward to many upcoming events.
Summer Term 2 Topic: History - the Romans
We will be learning:
- About the story of Romulus and Remus and say how they are believed to be involved in the building of the city of Rome
- To talk about the different roles in Roman Society
- About the Roman Army
- To design and make a Roman Shield
- About the story of Boudicca
In English, we will be studying the story, Escape from Pompeii by Christina Balit. We will be learning:
- To respond to a text, giving our thoughts and feelings about what has happened, what we like or don’t like, how we feel about the characters etc
- To plan and write a recount in role as a given character
- To plan and write poems
- About the features of leaflets and how to plan and create one
This term we are looking at:
- Counting in 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 10, 50 and 100s
- Written methods for addition, subtraction, multiplication and division
- Measurement, comparing and adding mass and volume/capacity
- Recognising angles and pairs of perpendicular and parallel times in 2D shapes
- Learning 2, 3, 4, 5, 8 and 10 times tables so we can answer them at speed
We are learning about Family and Relationships and Safety and the Changing Body.
We are learning about the Red Riding Hood story as well as looking at the different parts of the body.
Our topic this half term will be Plants. We will:
- Learn about the different parts of flowering plants and be able to explain their functions
- Investigate how water is transported in plants and understand that plants make their own food from sunlight, water and carbon dioxide
- Learn about the life cycle of a flowering plant
We will look closely at Roman artwork and creating our own Roman mosaic using paper.
We will continue to use Charanga to support our learning of pulse, rhythm and pitch.
We are using Google Slides to create presentations with key facts and images about Roman life.
We will practise gymnastic skills and will begin a new unit of athletics.
Faith and Wonder Learning
We are learning about the ‘People of God’, from the Old Testament, the covenant made with God by Noah, and thinking what that means for Christians and Jews to follow God today.
How can you help?
- Continuing to read regularly at home to an adult, with lots of discussion about the book.
- Lots of regular times table testing for the 2, 3, 4, 5, 10 and 8 times tables. The faster the response, the better!
- Supporting your child with learning their spellings, discussing the meanings of words, putting them into sentences and reviewing spellings from previous weeks.
- Play Times Table Rockstars at home. Please ask your child’s teacher if you need a reminder of your child’s password.
Events/Trips planned for this half term
- Roman day on 16th July
- Transition morning (getting ready for Year 4)
Please see the dates for your diary sheet for general dates of events of things happening in school.
Please note that events may be subject to change due to current circumstances.
If you have any resources you are happy to loan to us or have any particular knowledge about the Romans (or any other topics) and would be happy to come in to talk to the children, please let us know.
Thank you for all your support,
The Year 3 team