Autumn Term 2
Welcome back! We hope you all had a lovely, fun-filled half term.
We are sure that the children will very much enjoy this term in our run up to Christmas.
This term, we will be studying the Ancient Egyptians, which we hope will enthuse the children through their learning journey.
Autumn Term Topic: The Ancient Egyptians
We will be learning:
To place the Ancient Egyptians on a timeline
- Who built the pyramids and how and why they were built
- All about the Ancient Egyptian Gods and the Book of the Dead
- All about the processes of mummification and tomb building
- How Howard Carter discovered the tomb of Tutankhamun
In English, we will be focusing on the discovery of Tutankhamun’s tomb in 1922. We will be studying Howard Carter’s Journal and Newspaper articles at the time. We will be learning:
- The features of a journal and writing our own journal
- The features of a newspaper article and writing our own, all about the exciting discovery by Howard Carter
- To write an Egyptian themed poem for performance
This term we are looking at:
- Counting in 2, 3, 4, 5, 10, 50 and 100s
- Addition and subtraction
- Multiplication and division
- Telling the time to the nearest minute
- 2D and 3D shapes
- Statistics (tally charts, bar charts and picture grams)
- Learning 2, 3, 4, 5 and 10 times tables so we can answer them at speed
We will be learning about relationships with friends and family, why they are so important and how they can strength them.
We will be learning how to introduce ourselves, to say our names and ask people theirs.
Our topic this half term will be Magnificent Magnets. We will:
- Learn that magnetism works at a distance
- Learn that every magnet has 2 poles and make our own compass
- Identify which materials are magnetic
We will create our own sock owls from socks.
We will be studying Ancient Egyptian art work.
We will continue to learn about rhythm, look at modern and ancient Egyptian music and create our own Egyptian chant.
We will be learning how to use email. Each child will be given their own school email address, which they will use until they leave the school. They will learn how to send and receive emails, add names to their address book and attach files. Most importantly, we will learn how to keep ourselves safe when using email. These email addresses can be monitored by the school.
In Indoor PE, we will focus on dance and will begin an Outdoor PE unit creating our own throwing and ball games.
Faith and Wonder Learning
We will continue to learn about Diwali and then move onto an Understanding Christianity unit on The Trinity, focussing on Incarnation.
How can you help?
- Continuing to read regularly at home to an adult, with lots of discussion about the book.
- Lots of regular times table testing for the 2, 3 and 4 times tables. The faster the response, the better!
- Supporting your child with learning their spellings, discussing the meanings of words, putting them into sentences and reviewing spellings from previous weeks.
Events/Trips planned for this half term
- We will be holding an Egyptian Day on Friday 6th December, celebrating all things Ancient Egyptian. To complete some of our art work on this day, please could you collect empty, clean 500ml bottles and yogurt pots so they can be brought in nearer the time. A letter will be sent closer to the date.
- At 2.40pm on Monday 16th December, we will be hosting our own Egyptian Museum, showing some of the work the children have created this term.
- Please see the dates for your diary sheet for general dates of events of things happening in school.
If you have any resources you are happy to loan to us or have any particular knowledge about Ancient Egypt (or any other topics we are teaching) and would be happy to come in to talk to the children, please let us know.
Thank you for all your support,
The Year 3 team