Autumn Term 2
Welcome back! We hope you all had a lovely, fun-filled half term.
We are sure that the children will very much enjoy this term in our run up to Christmas.
This term, we will be studying the Ancient Egyptians, which we hope will enthuse the children through their learning journey.
Autumn Term Topic: History - The Ancient Egyptians
We will be learning:
- To place the Ancient Egyptians on a timeline
- Who built the pyramids and how and why they were built
- About some of the Ancient Egyptian Gods and the Book of the Dead
- About the processes of mummification and tomb building
- How Howard Carter discovered the tomb of Tutankhamun
In English, we will be focusing on the discovery of Tutankhamun’s tomb in 1922. We will be studying Howard Carter’s Journal and Newspaper articles at the time. We will be learning:
- The features of a journal and writing our own journal
- The features of a newspaper article and writing our own, all about the exciting discovery by Howard Carter
- To write an Egyptian themed poem for performance
This term we are looking at:
- Counting in 2, 3, 4, 5, 10, 50 and 100s
- Addition and subtraction using 2 digit numbers
- Addition and subtraction using 3 digit numbers
- Addition and subtraction word problems
- Multiplication and division
- Multiplication and division word problems
- Learning 2, 3, 4, 5 and 10 times tables so we can answer them at speed
We will be learning about mindfulness and how to have a growth mindset.
We will be learning how to say what we can do.
Our topic this half term will be Magnificent Magnets. We will:
- Learn that magnetism works at a distance
- Learn that every magnet has 2 poles and make our own compass
- Identify which materials are magnetic
We will create our own sock owls from socks.
We will be studying Ancient Egyptian art work.
We will be learning to play the glockenspiel linked to our unit of work on Charanga this half term.
We will be learning how to use algorithms to programme a character on screen to perform different actions, within Purple Mash and Scratch.
In Indoor PE, we will focus on gymnastics and will continue our Outdoor PE unit on attacking and defending.
Faith and Wonder Learning
We will continue to learn about Diwali and then move onto an Understanding Christianity unit on The Trinity, focussing on Incarnation.
How can you help?
- Continuing to read regularly at home to an adult, with lots of discussion about the book.
- Lots of regular times table testing for the 2, 3, 4, 5 and 10 times tables. The faster the response, the better!
- Supporting your child with learning their spellings, discussing the meanings of words, putting them into sentences and reviewing spellings from previous weeks.
Events/Trips planned for this half term
- Christmas Colouring competition deadline: Wednesday 25th November
- Advent calendar Festive Fun: week beginning 30th November
- Christmas Pantomime – The Wizard of Oz: Tuesday 1st December
- Christmas Jumper day for Save the Children: Friday 11th December
- Christmas Party: Tuesday 15th December
- Christmas DVD and Popcorn: Friday 18th December
PLEASE SEND IN ANY 500ML DRINK BOTTLES AND SMALL, CLEAN YOGHURT POTS FOR THE CHILDREN TO USE IN ART BETWEEN NOW AND WEEK BEGINNING 30TH NOVEMBER .
If you have any resources you are happy to loan to us or have any particular knowledge about Ancient Egypt (or any other topics we are teaching) and would be happy to come in to talk to the children, please let us know.
Thank you for all your support,
The Year 3 team