Autumn Term 2
Welcome back! We hope you all had a lovely, fun-filled half term.
We are sure that the children will very much enjoy this half term in our run up to Christmas.
This term, we will be studying the Ancient Egyptians, which we hope will enthuse the children through their learning journey.
Topic: History - The Ancient Egyptians
We will be learning:
- To place the Ancient Egyptians on a timeline
- Who built the pyramids and how and why they were built
- About some of the Ancient Egyptian Gods
- About the processes of mummification
- How Howard Carter discovered the tomb of Tutankhamun
In English, we will be focusing on the discovery of Tutankhamun’s tomb in 1922. We will be studying Howard Carter’s Journal and newspaper articles at the time. We will be learning:
- The features of a journal and writing our own journal
- The features of a newspaper article and writing our own, all about the exciting discovery by Howard Carter
- To write an Egyptian themed poem for performance
This term we are looking at:
- Counting in 2, 3, 4, 5, 10, 50 and 100s
- Addition and subtraction using 2 digit numbers
- Addition and subtraction using 3 digit numbers
- Addition and subtraction word problems
- Formal written methods
- Multiplication and division
- Multiplication and division word problems
- Learning 2, 3, 4, 5 and 10 times tables so we can answer them at speed
We will be learning about how physical activity, a balanced diet, rest and relaxation can help us to stay healthy and look after our wellbeing.
We will be learning how to say the colours and numbers.
Our topic this half term will be Magnificent Magnets. We will:
- Learn that magnetism works at a distance
- Learn that every magnet has 2 poles and make our own compass
- Identify which materials are magnetic
Design & Technology
We will be designing, making and evaluating our own Egyptian cartouche bookmark.
We will be studying Ancient Egyptian art through different craft activities.
We will be learning to play the glockenspiel linked to our unit of work on Charanga
We will be learning how to use algorithms to programme a character on screen to perform different actions with an application called Scratch.
In Indoor PE, we will continue to focus on gymnastics and will continue our Outdoor PE unit on invasion games though working as a team.
Faith and Wonder Learning
We will be learning about Diwali and then move onto an Understanding Christianity unit on The Trinity, focussing on Incarnation.
How can you help?
- Continuing to read regularly at home to an adult, with lots of discussion about the books.
- Lots of regular times table testing following the tables indicated on the home learning sheets. The faster the response, the better!
- Supporting your child with learning their spellings, discussing the meanings of words, putting them into sentences and reviewing spellings from previous weeks.
- All of this will be on the weekly home learning sheets
- If you have any resources you are happy to loan to us or have any particular knowledge about Ancient Egypt (or any other topics we are teaching) and would be happy to come in to talk to the children, please let us know.