Autumn Term 1
Welcome to Year 2. We hope you have had a lovely summer holiday.
The children have all settled well into Willow and Cherry Class. They are beginning to learn the routines of Year 2 and we are enjoying getting to know each other.
Topic: Turrets and Talons
We will be learning to:
- Recognise the history and features of castles
- Think of questions that will enhance our research
- Use different sources (books, videos and a castle visit) to gather information about castles
- Compare life in our castle with modern life
In English, we will be looking at books about castles and dragons, linked to our topic ‘Turrets and Talons’. We will learn:
*To use books to research about life in castles and writing questions and statements to show what we have learnt
*To make thoughtful predictions about what will happen in a story based on what we have read so far
*How to write instructions
*To describe an imaginary scene using high-quality language
*About the features of poetry, performing a poem from memory and writing our own
This term we are focusing on:
* Place value: partitioning a two-digit number into tens and ones
* Estimating the amount of a set of objects
* Learning different strategies for adding and subtracting larger numbers more efficiently
* Money – recognising coins, making amounts, comparing amounts, finding the total, finding the difference and giving change.
* Introducing multiplication as repeated addition through arrays. Starting to learn our 10, 2 and 5 times table
We will be learning: that families are composed of different people who offer each other care and support; how other people show their feelings and how to respond. We will be looking at conventions of manners and developing an understanding of self-respect.
Our topic this term is Materials. We will learn how to recognise everyday materials and sort them according to their properties. We will be investigating how different materials are suited to different purposes.
We will be completing a range of art activities based on the ‘talons’ part of our topic. We will also be learning the skills of colour mixing. We will be creating artwork using hot and cold colour pallets. We will be creating our own dragon.
All the learning in this unit if focused around a song called ‘Hands, Feet, Heart’ which celebrates South African music. The children will be taught to listen and appraise, vocal warm ups, finding the rhythm and pulse and will play along with the song using voices and instruments.
Faith and Wonder Learning
We will be looking at the topic of Creation. We will be learning about the creation story from the Bible and asking, “If the world has a creator, what must He be like?”.
When picturing a computer, thoughts are often of a screen, mouse and keyboard. This unit explores exactly what a computer is by identifying and learning how inputs and outputs work, how computers are used in the wider world and designing their own computerised invention
We will be focusing on gymnastics during Indoor PE: creating balances on the floor and travelling in high and low positions on apparatus.
Outdoor PE will be based on invasion game skills.
Children will also be taking part in the ‘Daily Mile’ for 15 minutes.
How can you help?
- If you can spare any time at morning drop off or any other time during the day to help with reading, then please speak to your child’s class teacher. You may need to obtain a DBS check first
- Listen to your child read their reading book from school as often as possible. Your child can change their own book once they have read at home
- Complete the maths homework tasks that are provided each week
- Keep reading stories to your child to enrich their vocabulary and enjoyment of stories
- Offer to accompany your child’s class school trips
Events/trips planned for this half term:
- Thursday 7th October – Trip to Arundel Castle
- Monday 4th October is our Harvest Festival service at 9am
- Monday 11th October: Flu immunisations for all
- Parents Evenings (online): Week beginning 11th October and 18th October (Please look out for emails regarding dates and times for your child’s class)
- ‘Castles and Dragons’ dress-up day at the end of this half term
We would prefer that the children bring a book bag to school instead of a rucksack, which take up a lot of space in our cloakroom. Book bags are stored in the classroom.
Please contact your class teacher if you need any further information or have a query, on the email address below:
The Year 2 Team
Mrs Bray Mrs Edwards Mrs Keates