Spring Term 2
Our school value focus for this half term is Friendship. We are celebrating good examples of showing this value to one another.
We are looking forward to seeing the children dressed up as a book characters on World Book Day (Thursday 5th March). We will spend the day sharing stories, and exploring our knowledge of traditional tales through creating a puppet show.
Year 2 will be holding a Japanese afternoon on Thursday 19th March, where the children will be able to make and (hopefully!) taste sushi. We will also experience other aspects of Japanese culture.
Spring Term Topic: Angmering and Tokyo
We will be learning about:
- The location of Tokyo, the capital city of Japan
- Comparing Angmering with Tokyo
- Looking at the human and physical features of both places
- Learning about Japanese life and culture
In English, we will be reading ‘The Day the Crayons Came Back’ by Drew Daywalt, a selection of traditional tales, ‘Topsy-Turvy Storybook’ by Dick King-Smith and ‘Tanka Tanka Skunk’ by Steve Webb.
- To write a postcard
- To retell a traditional tale in our own words
- To compare stories with ones that we already know and use clues in the text to predict what will happen next
- To write haiku poetry
- To create an information page about Japan
- To use apostrophes for contraction (e.g. I’m, don’t)
- To know the four types of sentence: statement, question, command and exclamation
This term we are looking at:
- Geometry – describing the properties of 2D and 3D shapes
- Adding and subtracting two-digit numbers that cross the tens boundary (e.g. 37+25, 54-36)
- Money – adding prices and giving change (by subtraction), and solving problems
- Measurement – estimating and measuring capacity in millilitres and litres
- Fractions – finding fractions of numbers
We will be learning about how medicines can keep us fit and healthy.
Our topic this half term will be plants. We will learn about:
- What is living, dead and has never been alive
- Observing plants in their habitat, identifying their parts and what function they have
- Looking at a variety of seeds and investigations the conditions they need to germinate
- Planting cress seeds in different growing conditions to see what they need to grow
- Identifying which parts of a plant we eat
We will be looking at Japanese styles of art, including the work of Katsushika Hokusai. We will be creating a picture of sakura (cherry blossom) in different media, including digitally.
We will be exploring Japanese Classical music, including some of the instruments and the sounds they make. We will be singing a song about sakura.
Faith and Wonder Learning
We will be looking at why Easter matters to Christians. We will learn what how salvation is part of the “big story” of the Bible and the symbolism of the cross.
We will be revising e-safety and learning about digital literacy (good practice around ICT). We will be researching information about Japan and presenting this as a PowerPoint presentation page. We will be practising how to save and retrieve our work.
In outdoor PE, will be playing invasion games and learning the skills of ball control and use of space around an opponent. In indoor PE, will be exploring mindfulness.
How can you help?
- Continuing to listen to your child read regularly and, especially, discussing the book with them afterwards.
- Lots of regular practice of the 2, 5 and 10 times tables. The faster the response, the better!
- Providing practical experience of our mathematical topics, e.g. handling money and measuring (capacity).
- Supporting your child with learning their spellings.
Events/trips planned for this half term:
- World Book Day: Thursday 5th March
- Parents Evenings: Wednesday 18th March and Thursday 26th March
- Year 2 Japan Afternoon: Thursday 19th March
- Music Assembly: Friday 27th March 2.15pm where the Infant Choir will be performing.
- Infant Church Easter Service: Thursday 2nd April
Events/trips planned for this half term:
Reminder that Year 2 Parent Drop-in mornings take place the last Thursday of every month, the next one being 26th March
If you have any resources that you are happy to loan to us or have any particular knowledge about Japan, or would be happy to come in to talk to the children, please let us know.
The Year 2 team