Autumn Term 2
In this busy half-term in the run-up to Christmas, the children are working hard to learn their words and practise the songs for our Nativity play: Baarmy Bethlehem. Thank you for all the hard work you are doing at home to prepare the children for their performance.
Autumn 2 Term Topic: Is it better to stand out or fit in?
We are excited for our Kindness Fashion show. Remember to enter our competition to design the front cover of our programme.
Deadline is the 17th of November.
This half term we are focusing on:
- How can we change our school for the better?
- Being real life craftivists by making and selling poppies inspired by the Angering Yarn Bombers.
- Planning and practicing our fashion show.
In English this half term, we will be focusing on fictional story writing. We will be using the following stories:
- Snack attack (a video stimulus)
- The true story of the Three Little Pigs
We will be orally retelling the stories using actions. We will place the key plot points on a story mountain and then we will write our own versions of the story.
We will then end our topic with ‘Helicopter stories’- a chance for children to see their story being brought to life through role play.
This term we are focusing on:
Addition and subtraction
Recap number bonds to 10 and 20
Using number bonds to 10 and 20 to support new learning of number bonds to 100
Add 3 digit numbers
Adding and subtracting by bridging 10.
Compare number sentences
Missing number problems
Sorting 2D and 3D shapes
Lines of symmetry
Counting edges, faces and vertices
Make patterns with 2D and 3D shapes
We will be learning about ‘health and wellbeing’. We will understand the benefits of being active, how to look after their teeth and what a healthy diet looks like.
This half-term our topic is Living things and their habitats.
We will be learning about:
- Different habitats across the world
- Antarctic animals and their characteristics
- Recapping food chains
Art & DT Learning
- Digital media
We are learning a Christmas song called ‘hohoho’ by Joana Mangona. We will be practicing our Nativity songs each day to make sure we know it very well for our performance.
Faith and Wonder Learning
We will be learning about the Christian concept of incarnation and asking “Why Christmas matters to Christians. We will learn about:
- The events of the Christmas story
- Why Jesus’ birth is special to Christians
- How the events of the Nativity story demonstrates that Jesus is special
In Outdoor PE, we are learning to throw, hit and catch balls and pass them with greater accuracy. We are developing our positioning and interception skills in small-group games. We are continuing to take part in the ‘Daily Mile’.
How can you help?
- If you can spare any time at morning drop off or any other time during the day to help with reading, then please speak to your child’s class teacher. You may need to obtain a DBS check first
- Listen to your child read their reading book from school as often as possible. Your child can change their own book once they have read at home
- Complete the maths homework tasks that are provided each week
- Keep reading stories to your child to enrich their vocabulary and enjoyment of stories
- Offer to accompany your child’s class school trips
- Offer your time to come in and teach a skill during ‘Discovery time’. For example, sewing or typing etc.
Events/trips planned for this half term:
Please see school newsletter for whole school dates.
Thank you to those parents and relatives who volunteer to hear children read during the day in Cherry or Willow Class. If anybody else is able to volunteer, please speak to us.
Please come and see your class teacher if you have any queries. We are available at the end of the day after we have dismissed the class. Alternatively, you can contact us on Seesaw or via our class emails.
The Year 2 team
Mrs Hills and Miss Haywood